The Grand Theatre Foundation produces quality community theatre, educational outreach programs and cooperative partnerships to enrich the community through the performing arts and humanities. Originally the Grand Theatre was part of South High School opened in the fall of 1931 and served the community until its closure in 1988. Salt Lake Community College purchased the property from the Salt Lake School District a year later with the intention of using it as a city campus. After another year of renovation, portions of the building were opened as the SLCC South City Campus, retaining part of its former name in recognition of the school's history. During the renovation, Pat Davis, an employee of SLCC and formerly the Executive Director of Promised Valley Playhouse in Salt Lake City, was brought to the school's old auditorium. What a grand theater! she exclaimed, and the name stuck. The first Grand Theatre performance was Promised Valley and was held in the football stadium in 1989, but the first "official" production held in the Grand Theatre auditorium was Camelot featuring Robert Peterson.
The stage curtains with stage lights on inside the Grand Theatre at South City Campus.
One of the entrance doors into the Grand Theatre at South City Campus.
Sign that showed the current and upcoming shows available at the Grand Theatre.
The Grand Theatre box office.
The Grand Theatre stage view from the gallery/balcony seats.
View of the Grand Theatre stage from the balcony.
A Grand Theatre flag attached to a street lamp out front of the theater itself.
View of the Grand Theatre from the stage looking out into the aisles, control booth, balconies and seating.
Two theater faculty members sitting on the Grand Theater stage.