The Grand Theatre Foundation produces quality community theatre, educational outreach programs and cooperative partnerships to enrich the community through the performing arts and humanities. Originally the Grand Theatre was part of South High School opened in the fall of 1931 and served the community until its closure in 1988. Salt Lake Community College purchased the property from the Salt Lake School District a year later with the intention of using it as a city campus. After another year of renovation, portions of the building were opened as the SLCC South City Campus, retaining part of its former name in recognition of the school's history. During the renovation, Pat Davis, an employee of SLCC and formerly the Executive Director of Promised Valley Playhouse in Salt Lake City, was brought to the school's old auditorium. What a grand theater! she exclaimed, and the name stuck. The first Grand Theatre performance was Promised Valley and was held in the football stadium in 1989, but the first "official" production held in the Grand Theatre auditorium was Camelot featuring Robert Peterson.
Original version: Institutional Marketing, Salt Lake Community College. Archival digital version: SLCC Digital Archives. IN COPYRIGHT.
Images captured with Nikon digital camera in raw NEF format. Editing and conversion of digital files to TIFF format done using Adobe Bridge.
Digitized by: Salt Lake Community College