You are here
- Friese Undine: Machiavelli and the Bottle
- Personal Creator
- Friese Undine
- Undine is fascinated with propaganda and more overt activities of persuasion: brainwashing, coercion, enticement and threat. In this exhibit, what might Undine's intention be? Proselytism? But for what? And certainly satire. This artist obviously wants us to think about the everyday uses of force, and especially the rhetoric we use to justify our actions to those less powerful than we are. Like every satire from the classical Greek "Satyricon" to Voltaire's "Candide" to "Saturday Night Live," Undine's work attacks society in order to improve it, ironically a hopeful act. Whether we are shocked or we laugh or both, we should not leave this gallery feeling neutral. If giving people easy answers is the function of propaganda, asking people hard questions is the function of art. Exhibition held in the Street Level Gallery space.
- propaganda, politics, philosophers, irony, Salt Lake Art Center
- Local Identifiers
- SLCC Board of Trustees 1983-10-12: Agenda and Meeting Minutes
- Minutes of the Institutional Council of Utah Technical College at Salt Lake conducted on October 12, 1983 showed a memorandum with some points of the agenda and a reminder of the meeting taking place at the Skills Center Library. On the minutes a recommendation for an eight percent increase in tuition was discussed with the concern to increased salaries for Faculty. Kent Ferrel briefly explained the Investment Reports. Jerrald Conder briefly explained the Quarterly Report of New Hires. An intercollegiate assembly organized by the Utah Student Association was announced, so delegation will go to the capitol to lobby the legislators. Judd Morgan briefly went over enrollment figures for fall quarter. John Klas officially appointed Myrna King as Secretary of the Institutional Council. It was decided that Institutional Council members are to be kept informed of upcoming seminars, symposiums, or other kinds of training sessions relating to education. The Utah State Board of Regents' Calendar was distributed. The Skills Center report shared the creation of five new programs with the help of a couple of partnerships and funds from external bodies. The attachments in this documents are regarding the Statement of Support of pay increases for faculty, the Student Services Committee report demonstrating the update of financial aid, the Board of Regents Calendar and the Resolution un Support of Co-op Education. Propaganda sent to promote hiring students from the College is attached as well as "A 1984 guide to Post Highschool Education in Utah", where universities and Colleges showed their academic or vocational options, admissions, scholarships, etc. for High school seniors and their parents.
- tuition, Wages, Wage-price policy, Employment, reports, administrative reports, Placement of students, Student organizations, Student unions, legislative acts, Programs, Teachers, propaganda, enrollments, financial aid, student success, Vocational education, Universities & colleges
- Local Identifiers